Il Borro is a mediaeval Tuscan village that has been transformed into a luxury hotel complex following a complete conservation and restoration project. Its owner Ferruccio Ferragamo works with his son Salvatore on the 45 hectares of the estate vineyard with the respect due to the historic landscape.
Once a fortress built to defend the strategic position crossed by Roman roads, Il Borro has been bitterly disputed and fought over many times since the 11th century. A series of distinguished noble families have owned the estate, including the Medici from Florence, the Torriani from Milan, and the Savoia from 1904 onwards. But the person who shaped the Il Borro we see today was the politician Alessandro dal Borro, who was the first to extend the fortress.
It was in 1993 that Ferruccio Ferragamo bought the entire estate from the Duke of Savoy. The family had already leased the estate every summer for a number of years for hunting, so the outright purchase was simply a logical extension of Ferrucio’s love affair with this place. He described it as “A leap of faith that has stood the test of time”.
Salvatore Ferragamo, his son, and grandson of the legendary Italian hunter, carries on the task of conserving the beauty and integrity of Il Borro, and contributing his own passion for wine. Respect for the environment and eco-sustainable choices, energy from renewable sources and natural fertilizers are some of the central ethical principles that have guided the renovation of Il Borro. Time seems to have stood still in this tiny Tuscan village, whose truthful authenticity creates an absolutely magical atmosphere.