Chef Régis Marcon continues his quest to unearth the treasure trove of taste the Earth has to offer. His latest book introduces us to a cornucopia of grains and legumes, some familiar, some less so, in a thousand flavors and textures.
Herb, bean, and pearl barley soup
Recipe taken from the book.
- Finely chop the onion, leeks, and baby greens. Then crush the garlic using a garlic press.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Brown the garlic and onion in the oil for
5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the leeks and let cook for 10 minutes, covered, until tender.
- Add the baby greens and continue cooking for 3 minutes to reduce their volume.
- Pour in the broth and bring to gentle boil. Simmer for about 10 minutes,
then stir in the beans.
- Mix the soup in a food processor or with a hand blender to create a velouté.
Season to taste.
- Return the soup to the pan and reheat.
- Add the pearl barley and remove from heat.
- Divide the soup into serving dishes, sprinkle with salt and fresh-ground pepper.
- Serve hot, garnished with a few herb sprigs.
After the success of his books on mushrooms and herbs, Régis Marcon now shines the spotlight on grains and legumes.
Lentils, broad beans, chickpeas, flageolets, and adzuki beans, not to mention quinoa, amaranth, oats, barley, and spelt: In his latest book, the chef is our guide as we explore a wide, wonderful world of familiar and unfamiliar foods.
Seventy grains and legumes are detailed here in individual plates presenting the benefits of each variety and products made therefrom (flours, flakes, and more). Régis Marcon teaches us how to select, prepare, and cook them, but also to serve them with the delights of every season. He then shares more than 100 recipes, from the simplest to the most sophisticated: hummus, falafel, risotto, einkorn wheat bread, blond lentil and orange cake, bulgur wheat tabouli with oranges and scallops, two-mushroom polenta, and many others.
For breakfast or dessert, in soups, terrines, or salads, there are a thousand and one ways to enjoy grains and legumes!